Adjustment of Status

Let SYG Law Firm Help You Get Your Green Card Through Adjustment of Status

Adjustment of Status

Adjustment of Status (AOS) is a procedure in the United States that permits foreign nationals to apply for legal permanent residency (usually referred to as a green card) while still in the country. This allows people to apply for residency without returning home. For many, this is a simpler and, oftentimes, safer alternative to returning to their own country.

An adjustment of status attorney in Temecula, California can greatly assist you in navigating the process if you are seeking an adjustment of status. SYG Law Firm offers the tools and resources to assist you in gathering the required information and documents for the application, as well as answering any questions you may have during the adjustment process. You may miss important steps if you don’t have the help of a legal representative, putting your visa and immigration in jeopardy.

What Are the Requirements For an Adjustment of Status?

You will be permitted to live in the United States if you petition for adjustment of status and your visa has expired before they accept the change. If you want to change your status, you must fit into one of the following groups before you can do so:

  • Immigrants sponsored by a family member
  • Asylum seeker or refugee status
  • Victims of domestic violence or abuse
  • Victims of crime and human trafficking
  • Other categories established by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

You only need a valid visa or the Visa Waiver Program to establish that you are still in lawful status and that your visa hasn’t expired when applying for an adjustment of status. You can employ AOS even though your visa has expired if you are filing for adjustment of status through marriage to a U.S. citizen. This only works if you had a valid visa or waiver when you entered the United States.

How Can You Apply for an Adjustment of Status in the United States?

Adjustment of Status in Temecula


You can start your green card application once you’ve confirmed your eligibility, such as whether a relative can petition on your behalf. The actions that follow should be used as a general guideline.

However, you should speak with an experienced immigration attorney in Temecula, California
to learn more about the steps and options available to you. 

Step 1: Submit a petition for admission to the United States

Most green card applications begin when a family member files a petition on the immigrant’s behalf. In some unique situations, a petition is not required or the immigrant can self petition. 

Step 2: Double-check the status of your visa and submit an application to adjust status

In many cases, the application to adjust status may be submitted concurrently with the petition. In other cases, the immigrant should wait until a visa in your category becomes available before submitting Form I-485. Before applying for permanent residency, make sure that an immigrant visa is available. For the most up-to-date information, see the USCIS page “Visa Availability and Priority Dates.”

Step 3: Visit an application support center in your area

USCIS will contact most applicants within a few months to appear at an application support center to supply your biometrics data, such as your photograph and fingerprints. This information is needed for security and identification verification purposes. Generally, the appointment takes less than five minutes and the merits of your application are not discussed.

Step 4: If necessary, attend an interview

Officials from USCIS will examine your application and determine whether you need to attend an interview to answer questions about your application under oath. The date, time, and location of your interview will be communicated to you.

You (and, if applicable, the family member who filed the immigration petition for you) must bring the originals of all documents submitted with the Form I-485 application to the interview. This includes identity documents such as passports and birth certificates, official travel documents, and Form I-94.

Step 5: Await a final decision from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

Your claim for permanent residency will be approved or denied, and you will be notified in writing. If your application is approved, you will receive your Permanent Resident Card or Green Card within a few weeks by mail. 

Otherwise, you will receive a denial letter outlining the reason(s) for your card application’s denial, as well as whether you have the right to appeal the decision.

SYG Law Firm Can Help You With Adjustment of Status Issues

For those who qualify, applying for AOS may appear to be a simple process. There are, however, a few difficult considerations to consider. Among them are:

  • Financial support
  • The applicant’s non-immigrant status and I-485 status
  • Previous criminal convictions or allegations
  • Errors with the application
  • Previous entries and departures

As a result, we urge that while completing your I-485 application, you request a consultation with one of our skilled immigration AOS attorneys.

Why Should You Hire SYG Law Firm for Your Adjustment of Status Process?

SYG Law Firm’s objective as your Temecula, California immigration attorney is to assist you and your family in realizing the American Dream. We provide free consultations and flexible payment options to our clients.

Stefanos Georgousopoulos has assisted hundreds of clients in realizing their immigration dreams. SYG Law Firm’s adjustment of status lawyer can explain your alternatives and eligibility, help you file the petition and documents, and guide you through the process.

Contact SYG Law Firm for a Professional Adjustment of Status Attorney in Temecula, California

For the adjustment of status application, you will need to collect several documents and pieces of information. Finding all of the necessary paperwork, from confirmation of identity to visa information, can be challenging and tedious. You’ll have a competent and trustworthy advocate on your side if you work with a reputable adjustment of status lawyer from SYG Law Firm.

Based on years of experience working with numerous clients’ immigration visas, we have the knowledge and skills to guide you through the process. Our goal is for clients to feel secure in their applications and to be able to ask any questions they may have. Contact us today to learn more about our adjustment of status service and how we can assist you.

Call us Free

Contact SYG Law Firm at (951) 595-7127 or by email at  if you need help becoming a U.S. citizen or finding the facts that support your claim to be a U.S. citizen.

Schedule a Free Consultation